UPDATE: Hydrant Flushing Schedule for Week of May 14-18
Spring hydrant flushing will run through May 18 in the City of New Brunswick.
Citywide hydrant flushing programs are conducted twice a year to remove iron deposits that build up in water mains. Discoloration may occur as a result of flushing, but water remains safe for use. Water discoloration that is sometimes seen during the flushing process is due to iron being dislodged from pipes by water pressure, a necessary maintenance step to maintain water quality and flow.
Residents are advised to avoid doing laundry or running hot water while discoloration is present, as iron deposits can accumulate in hot water heaters and possibly stain laundry.
Hydrants will be flushed between the hours of 10 p.m. and 4 a.m.
The flushing schedule for the week of May 14-18 is as follows. This is the final week in which flushing is scheduled as part of this cycle:
- Monday, May 14 – Flushing has been canceled for this date
- Tuesday, May 15 – Flushing has been canceled for this date
- Wednesday, May 16 – (nighttime flushing) – College Avenue, Easton Avenue, side streets between Easton Avenue and College Avenue, New York Avenue and Jefferson Avenue.
- Thursday, May 17 – (nighttime flushing) – George Street between Somerset Street and Landing Lane and various dead ends around the City.
- Friday, May 18 – No flushing is scheduled for this date