Go Green for Urban Cleanup Week!
Spring has sprung! Let’s get cleaning!
Urban Cleanup Week is a nine-day initiative with opportunities for all community members to take an active role in the cleanliness of their town. Each day has a different theme, all centered around litter cleanup, recycling and the importance of a clean community.
- On April 14, 15 and 21, large volunteer groups will take to the streets to clean litter in different neighborhoods around town. We are always looking for community service groups that wish to conduct cleanups, during both Urban Cleanup Week and beyond. Anyone interested in getting involved is encouraged to contact our Division of Clean Communities at (732) 745-5245.
- On Monday, April 16, businesses throughout the City are encouraged to get involved through “Make Your Storefront Look Great Day” by cleaning up litter and graffiti on their property and washing their sidewalks and their windows. They are also encouraged to clean up to two feet into the street.
- Fifth grade students from New Brunswick Public Schools will take litter cleanup into their own hands during “School Kids Sweep-Up Day” on Tuesday, April 17. This all-day event entails a litter cleanup and education about keeping our community clean, followed by a Clean City Celebration and the annual “Slam Dunk the Junk” basketball tournament. Stay tuned for photos from this special day, which is always a lot of fun!
- On Wednesday, April 18, residents may drop off old TVs, computers, paint and paint-related items at the DPW between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. during our annual Earth Day event. While there, they can pick up 20 free biodegradable leaf bags per property as well as a free cooking oil recycling container. The New Brunswick DPW is located at 400 Jersey Ave.
- Grab free flowers for Flower-Up Friday! Two free packs of annuals will be provided to the first 200 New Brunswick residents to visit Livingston Park Nursery between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Friday, April 20. Additional flowers will be available for purchase at a discounted rate for New Brunswick residents only. The nursery is located at 1036 How Lane.
- On Sweep-Up Sunday, grab a broom and make sure your home and neighborhood is clean and neat! On Sunday, April 22, residents are asked to clean litter on their front lawns, sidewalks, curbs and two feet into the street.
Urban Cleanup Week is always a positive step in reducing in the amount of litter in our community. It also encourages residents to continue these behaviors year-round for the betterment of our City!
For more information on Urban Cleanup Week and other litter reduction initiatives in the City of New Brunswick, visit the New Brunswick DPW website.