Hydrant Flushing Schedule for the Week of May 1-5
Annual spring hydrant flushing is currently underway in the City of New Brunswick
Hydrants are flushed twice a year to remove iron deposits that build up in water mains. Discoloration may occur as a result of flushing, but water remains safe for use.
Residents are advised to avoid using hot water or doing laundry until discoloration disappears, as iron deposits can built up in hot water heaters and possibly stain laundry.
Most City fire hydrants will be flushed between the hours of 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. Some daytime flushing will occur as well.
The schedule for flushing during the week of May 1-5 is as follows. Flushing will take place nightly between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m., unless otherwise noted:
- Monday, May 1: The downtown area, including George Street, Neilson Street and side streets
- Tuesday, May 2: The industrial area, including Van Dyke Avenue, Triangle Road and Home News Row
- Wednesday, May 3: (Daytime flushing is scheduled for this day): Jersey Avenue between Van Dyke Avenue and Somerset Street
- Thursday, May 4: Somerset Street, Hamilton Street, Delafield Street and Duke Street
- Friday, May 5: No flushing is scheduled