Clean Litter, Plant Flowers and Go Green for Urban Cleanup Week 2019!
Urban Cleanup Week 2019 has been announced for the week of April 13-20 and all members of the New Brunswick community are invited to participate in these events to help keep our community clean and green.
- On April 13 and 20, large volunteer groups will take to the streets to clean litter in different neighborhoods around town. Anyone interested in getting involved is encouraged to contact our Division of Clean Communities at (732) 745-5245.
- On Sunday, April 14, all City residents are asked to observe “Sweep-up Sunday” by cleaning litter on their front lawns, sidewalks, curbs and two feet into the street.
- Monday, April 15 is our annual “Make Your Storefront Look Great Day” in which local businesses are asked to clean litter and graffiti on their property, wash their sidewalks and windows and clean two feet into the street.
- Fifth grade students from New Brunswick Public Schools will take litter cleanup into their own hands as they prepare for “School Kids Sweep-Up Day”. In May, our young people will conduct a litter cleanup in their school neighborhoods and learn about the importance of litter reduction, followed by a Clean City Celebration.
- On Wednesday, April 17, residents are invited to drop by the New Brunswick DPW between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. for our annual Earth Day event. Residents may drop off old TVs, computers, paint and paint-related items at the DPW and while there, can pick up 20 free biodegradable leaf bags per property as well as a free cooking oil recycling container. The New Brunswick DPW is located at 400 Jersey Ave.
- On Thursday, April 18, houses of worship and nonprofits are asked to do a quick litter cleanup on their properties for Tidy-up Thursday.
- Flower-up Friday is scheduled for 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday, April 19 at The Flower Corner, 123 Commercial Avenue. The first 100 New Brunswick residents to visit may pick up two FREE packs of annual flowers to take home.