Hydrant Flushing Schedule for the Week of May 5-11
Spring hydrant flushing is currently underway in the City of New Brunswick and will run through Friday, May 24.
Our hydrant flushing programs are conducted twice a year to remove iron deposits that build up in water mains.
Discoloration may occur as a result of flushing, but water remains safe for use.The discoloration seen in water during the flushing process is due to iron being dislodged from pipes by water pressure, a necessary maintenance step to maintain water quality and flow.
Residents are advised to avoid using hot water or doing laundry until discoloration disappears, as iron deposits can built up in hot water heaters and possibly stain laundry.
Most City fire hydrants will be flushed between the hours of 10 p.m. and 4 a.m., but some daytime flushing will occur as well.
The schedule for flushing for the week of May 5-11 is as follows:
- Monday, May 6 – (nighttime flushing) George Street from Commercial Avenue to Somerset Street,
Neilson Street, Hiram Square, City Hall area
- Tuesday, May 7 – (nighttime flushing) Van Dyke Avenue, Jersey Avenue, How Lane, Somerset Street, Home News Row, Terminal Road, Roosevelt Street, Henry Avenue
- Wednesday, May 8 – (nighttime flushing) Somerset Street to French Street, Lufberry Avenue, Quentin Avenue, Jersey Avenue between Van Dyke Avenue and French Street
- Thursday, May 9 – (nighttime flushing) Somerset Street, Hamilton Street, Central Avenue,
Brookside Avenue, Delafield Street, Louis Street
- Friday, May 10 – No flushing is scheduled for this date