Hydrant Flushing Schedule for May 12-18
Spring hydrant flushing is currently underway in the City of New Brunswick and will run through Friday, May 24.
Our hydrant flushing programs are conducted twice a year to remove iron deposits that build up in water mains.
Discoloration may occur as a result of flushing, but water remains safe for use.The discoloration seen in water during the flushing process is due to iron being dislodged from pipes by water pressure, a necessary maintenance step to maintain water quality and flow.
Residents are advised to avoid using hot water or doing laundry until discoloration disappears, as iron deposits can built up in hot water heaters and possibly stain laundry.
Most City fire hydrants will be flushed between the hours of 10 p.m. and 4 a.m., but some daytime flushing will occur as well.
The schedule for flushing for the week of May 12-18 is as follows:
- Monday, May 13 – (nighttime flushing) Van Dyke Avenue, Jersey Avenue, How Lane, Somerset Street, Home News Row, Terminal Road, Roosevelt Street, Henry Avenue
- Tuesday, May 14 – (nighttime flushing) Easton Avenue, College Avenue, New York Avenue, Sicard Street, Wyckoff Street
- Wednesday, May 15 – (nighttime flushing) George Street between Somerset Street and Landing Lane, various dead ends around the City
- Thursday, May 16 – No flushing is scheduled for this date
- Friday, May 17 – No flushing is scheduled for this date