Spanish Japanese Chinese

Which Units Are Rent-Controlled

Any dwelling that is rented or offered for rent, or any dwelling that is not the principal residence of the property owner, must be registered as a rental unit with the New Brunswick Rent Control Office annually - on or before April 1st.

Generally, the following units are exempted from the rent control registration requirement:

  • Public housing
  • Motels/hotels
  • Licensed rooming houses
  • Fraternities/sororities registered with Rutgers University
  • Dormitories and similar housing owned or operated by educational institutions
  • Units with project-based rental assistance
  • Owner-occupied, single-family houses where the owner-occupant has at least a 50% interest in the title.
  • Owner-occupied, two-family properties, except that such properties are required to register annually so as to be included in the property maintenance periodic inspection program. Rents are not subject to control.
  • Multifamily dwellings meeting the standards for exemption pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:42-84.4
  • Rental units that are kept primarily for secondary residential occupancy, such as a pied-a-terre or vacation home, or primarily for non-residential use, such as storage

If a new rental unit is created after April 1st through construction or conversion from owner-occupancy, such unit shall be registered with the New Brunswick rent control office within thirty (30) days of receipt of a temporary or permanent certificate of occupancy.

When a rental unit has previously been registered, but becomes vacant and does not qualify for an exemption under the provisions of this chapter, such property shall be considered a rental dwelling unit under the provisions of this chapter and shall also be registered consistent with the provisions of this chapter. Such registration shall occur on an annual basis as provided in this chapter.

For more information, see the Rent Control Ordinance  as well as the 2021 Revisions to the Rent Control Ordinance.