Health and Vital Statistics
Lainie Ramirez, Registrar
Hours of operation: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Responsible for registering all births, civil unions, domestic partnerships, marriages and deaths in the City of New Brunswick
- The following information pertains to Vital Statistics:
- Certified copies of births, civil unions, domestic partnerships, marriages, and deaths
- Applications for civil unions and marriages
- Filing of domestic partnerships
- Modifications of all vital records
There are three ways to obtain certified copies:
- In person: Our address is 78 Bayard St. (Bayard Street is off of George Street. City Hall is on the left hand side after the TD Bank. Parking is behind the building. Inform the parking attendant at the gate that you are going to the Health Department and they will direct you to our office.)
- By mail: The mailing address is: New Brunswick Health Dept, PO Box 269, New Brunswick, NJ 08903-0269 Acceptable methods of payment are money order or certified checks made out to the City of New Brunswick. Credit cards w/ expiration date are acceptable with an additional cost of $7 charged through your credit card. Photo copies of ID must be submitted along with request.
- Online: The City of New Brunswick does not accept credit cards for online orders. However, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc VitalChek can be reached through its website by clicking here. An additional fee of $7 is charged by VitalChek for using this service. All major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa.
Eligible individuals who can obtain certified copies of vital records:
- The individual of legal age, the parents of, a brother or sister of legal age (with proof of their relationship, i.e. certified copy of birth certificate showing parents’ names), the spouse/partner (with proof of civil union, domestic partnership or marriage certificate), the child of legal age (with proof of their relationship i.e. certified copy of birth certificate showing parents names), the grandchild of legal age (with proof of their relationship i.e. certified copies of birth certificate showing parents and grandparents names), the legal guardian/representative (with proper court documents within a two-year period)
- Required Identification (Identity must be established through a valid driver’s license, valid passport or valid State, Federal or Municipal ID)
- A valid photo driver’s license showing your CURRENT address and signature;
- If a valid photo driver’s license is not available, two of the following are necessary:
- A non-photo drivers license
- County ID
- Vehicle registration and/or insurance card
- Copy of utility bill, bank statement
- Proof of signature is required
When filling out a request form, the information provided must be exact and complete as it appears on the original record. Please provide a phone number where you can be reached should a problem arise.
Acceptable methods of payment are cash, money order, certified check, or debit cards with an additional fee of $2.50.
- First copy: $25
- Any additional copies of the same record ordered on the same day are $5 each
An appointment must be made to file an application by calling (732) 745-5018 or (732) 745-5061
- Application can be made where either party resides with proof
- Both parties may be present; if applying separately, the same witness must be present
- 18 years of age
- Provide social security numbers (which will be kept confidential)
- Witness 18 years of age or older
- Fee of $28
Suggested additional items:
- Birth certificate
- If you were in a former union, and it was legally dissolved, final decrees
- If by death, certified copy of death certificate
- You may also complete the applications on the State of New Jersey’s website. You must follow the instructions on this site. There is a three day waiting period before the license can be issued. If a time waiver is necessary, it must be granted by a Superior Court Judge.
To complete a Domestic Partnership:
- Each partner must sign in front of a notary an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership (Affidavits are available from any local registrars office)
- Partners must 62 years of age and of opposite sex
- Share a common residence or member of NJ State Retirement System
- Jointly responsible for each others common welfare
- Not in any other commitment recognized by NJ Law
- Notarized Affidavit must be taken to any local registrars office to be filed and purchase a certificate of Domestic Partnership
- Fee of $28
In conjunction with the Middlesex County Health Department, The Division of Health provides environmental health investigations and inspections of all licensed food vendors in accordance with Chapter 12 of the New Jersey Sanitary Code.
The Division also coordinates with the Middlesex County Department of Health and the New Brunswick Public Schools to provide immunizations, health screening sessions and health education programs.
To contact the Middlesex County Health Department call (732) 745-5021.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Search for file name:
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category