Birth Certificates/Marriage Licenses
Office hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For information, please call us at: 732-745-5018, 732-745-5061, or 732-745-5003
Vital Statistics is responsible for:
- Certified copies of births, civil unions, domestic partnerships, marriages, and deaths
- Applications for civil unions and marriages
- Filing of domestic partnerships
- Modifications of all vital records
– First copy is $25.00.
– Additional copies of the same record ordered on the same day are $5 each.
There are three ways to obtain certified copies:
- In person: We are located in Civic Square. You can access our office from the parking lot in back of City Hall. There is a guard at the security booth - tell them you are going to the Health Dept. and they will direct you to our office. Acceptable methods of payment are cash, money order, certified check, or debit cards with an additional fee of $2.50. Identity must be established through a valid driver’s license, valid passport or valid State or Federal ID.
- By mail: The mailing address is: New Brunswick Health Dept, PO Box 269, New Brunswick, NJ 08903-0269. Acceptable methods of payment are money order or certified check made out to The City of New Brunswick. Credit cards with expiration date are acceptable with an additional fee of $7 which will be charged to your credit card. Photocopies of ID must be submitted along with your request.
- Online: The City of New Brunswick does not accept credit cards for online orders. However, for your convenience, you can process online requests through VitalChek Network. An additional fee of $7 is charged by VitalChek for using their service. All major credit cards are accepted.
Individuals eligible to obtain certified copies of vital records:
- The individual of legal age, the parents of, a brother or sister of legal age (with proof of their relationship, i.e. certified copy of birth certificate showing parents’ names).
- The spouse/partner (with proof of civil union, domestic partnership or marriage certificate).
- The child of legal age (with proof of their relationship i.e. certified copy of birth certificate showing parents names).
- The grandchild of legal age (with proof of their relationship, i.e. certified copies of birth certificate showing parents and grandparents names).
- The legal guardian/representative (with proper court documents within a 2 year period).
- A valid photo driver’s license showing your CURRENT address and signature
- If a valid photo driver’s license is not available, two of the following are necessary
- A non-photo drivers license
- County ID
- Vehicle registration and/or insurance card
- Copy of utility bill, bank statement
- Proof of signature is required
Records Request Forms
- English: Non-Genealogical Certification or a Certified Copy of a Vital Record
- Spanish: Non-Genealogical Certification or a Certified Copy of a Vital Record
- License Application for Dogs and Cats
CIVIL UNIONS AND MARRIAGE LICENSES
Applicants must call to make an appointment: 732-745-5018 or 732-745-5061
- Application can be made where either party resides, with proof of residence
- Both parties may be present; if applying separately, the same witness must be present
- 18 years of age
- Provide social security numbers (which will be kept confidential)
- Witness 18 years of age or older
- Fee of $28
Suggested additional items:
- Birth certificate
- If you were in a former union, and it was legally dissolved, final decrees
- If by death, certified copy of death certificate
- You may also complete the applications on the State of New Jersey’s website. You must follow the instructions on their site, and there is a three day waiting period before the license can be issued. If a time waiver is necessary, it must be granted by a Superior Court Judge.
To complete a Domestic Partnership:
- Each partner must sign in front of a notary an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership (Affidavits are available from any local registrars office)
- Partners must be 62 years of age and of opposite sex
- Share a common residence or member of NJ State Retirement System
- Jointly responsible for each others common welfare
- Not in any other commitment recognized by NJ Law
- Notarized Affidavit must be taken to any local registrars office to be filed and purchase a certificate of Domestic Partnership
- Fee of $28
Please click the links below for information regarding amendments to sex designation on a birth certificate to reflect gender identity: